“This is the first group sow management system I have been around I think is less stressful for the sow than being in a stall.”
Thomas Livestock Company
Tim Friedel, sow production manager
Broken Bow, Nebraska, U.S.A.
About the farm
- 22,000 sows at 4 sites
- Finish their own pigs
- Keep sows in dynamic groups of 250 or more
The best choice for people and pigs
How they did it
Thomas Livestock kept their 5,000-sow barn in production during remodel construction.
Here’s how they did it:
- Lowered breeding target to reduce herd size and make room for initial construction.
- Contractor purchased new tools dedicated to the remodel site to minimize biosecurity risks.
- Remodeled in sections, starting work in a third of the barn while sows stayed in stalls in the rest of the barn.
- Rotated some sows into another barn with the same health status to create space as construction progressed.
What's working at Thomas Livestock Co.?
How do you want to improve your operation?
Search results for: ''
- Find Your Distributor
- Dairy Farming Solutions
- Pig Farming Solutions
- Service & support
There are no results matching your criteria. Please try again with different criteria.